Built on the basis of 190 billion miles of driving data, we’re on a mission to make roads safer one fleet at a time. We’re here to disrupt the commercial auto-insurance industry, a market in urgent need of innovation. This is an amazing opportunity to be part of an ambitious company that is looking to find new ways to delight our customers.
Many companies say so, but at Fairmatic, we really do believe that our people are our greatest asset. To illustrate that:
- We want you to take ownership to do what it takes to reach our destination.
- Because we’re going places no one has ever been and are building new and unique solutions, you should be ready to do some offroading.
- Velocity and focus is our competitive advantage. That means we lean in and always find a way to deliver - even if it's never been tried before.
- We work hard, but have fun doing it
So if you’re ready, grab the steering wheel, get your motor running, and join us for a great ride at Fairmatic. We’re eager to meet you!
About the role:
The Software Engineer role will work in the Data Engineering team, which is at the heart of everything we do. The team is responsible for all things data: premium calculation, rating, data processing, and delivering critical data drive insights that empower us to make informed business decisions.
You will build and maintain the distributed system for the core rating logic based on incentivized dynamic pricing engine, that allows us to dynamically assess and rate risks. You will also work on distributed real-time data streams from various sources, stream processing applications, and ingest process, store and analyse this data.
- Understand insurance rating algorithms, and scoring models, improve and implement changes as required
- Develop data models, and backend APIs and services to provide a standardised interface for cross-team data needs
- Build and maintain backend APIs to accept push event streams from mobile devices; as well as pull streams from third parties
- Design and develop data pipelines to implement business logic on near real-time distributed streams that are performant and scalable
- Enable data analysts to identify, ingest and extract data from new sources, and help with data analysis
What we need from you:
- 5+ years in backend software development, writing and maintaining production-grade software that is designed to be performant, scalable and resilient
- Experience with the Python programming language and common Python web frameworks like Flask and Django is a plus
- You like to have fun!
- You’re kind, motivated, and you care about the team
- Curiosity is in your DNA. You enjoy digging in to learn more
- You enjoy not just finding a problem but creating the solution.
- You have a “Can Do” attitude
- You’re a confident and a humble owner of your work
- Change is your friend
- Good understanding of HTTP APIs, Message brokers, relational databases like Postgresql, and working in a Linux environment in the cloud (we use AWS)
- Experience working on stream processing frameworks such as Spark, Kafka Streams, Flink, etc
- Expertise in understanding and writing optimised SQL queries across data sets against enterprise data warehouses such as Redshift, BigQuery, etc
- Understanding of Statistical and ML models is a plus
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills, should work independently and is self-driven
- Comfortable working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- Market competitive compensation
- Equity in a business which is already secure and trading strongly
- Comprehensive health and wellness benefits
- Unlimited vacation
Fairmatic is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates inclusion and belonging.